The Doctor's House, circa 1824, has been welcoming guests from all over the world since the year 2000.
Featuring a large, inviting verandah overlooking Queen Street (the main street in Niagara-on-the-Lake), guests get a ringside seat to all that the town has to offer -- stroll to the shops, take a carriage ride, walk to the theatre, or enjoy incredible dining at our doorstep.
Your hosts, Lynn & Kevan (and cats Bill & Leo) will make you feel right at home.
Full breakfast featuring fruit, muffins/scones baked daily, a hot entree, coffee and assorted teas
Guest lounge with smart TV (satellite TV, Netflix, YouTube, etc)
Large yard, gazebo, and verandah
Outdoor charger for electric vehicles
History (from excerpts published by the Niagara Historical Society)
Prior to the war of 1812, records indicated the property was owned by the McBride family and that the building operated as a store that was burned down in the fire of December 1813. By 1824, the property had changed hands and was once again operated as a store by Ralph Morden Crysler who built the stately house next door at 187 Queen Street. An advertisement from 1832 notes that they "have recently received direct from England, Scotland and Ireland, a large and choice Assortment of Seasonable and Fashionable Goods, which they offer their customers and the Public, at the most reasonable prices, at Wholesale". In the 1840's the property was purchased by a notable Niagara lawyer and passed down to a daughter named Sarah Campbell. In 1880, Campbell sold the property in two parcels to Henry A. Garrett for $500. It was he who "assembled" the existing structure in 1881. Presumably, Crysler's store was destroyed or moved and the front portion of the existing house was a small house from the 1820's which was moved onto the lot. The rear portion of the house was a school house that was originally moved from the corner of Johnson and Gate streets, just a block away. After several changes of ownership, the house was aquired by Dr. Arther Bennett in 1929 and his heirs occupied the house for most of the 20th century. Since then, the house was referred to as "The Doctor's House".